Academic Regulations

All students are urged to read these general regulations carefully. Failure to be familiar with this section does not excuse a student from the obligation to comply with all the described regulations.

Although every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of this catalog, students are advised that the information contained in it is subject to change. They should therefore consult the Registration Information section of the Office of the Registrar web page for any term to relate these regulations to calendar dates. The University reserves the right to revise its regulations and programs in accord with sound academic standards and requirements.

Academic Residence Requirement

The minimum residence requirement for a bachelor’s degree program requires 32 out of the last 40 units to be earned in residence at University of the Pacific. This means once a student has reached 40 units less than what is required for his/her degree only 8 more units may be accepted from a four year accredited institution. Additional community college or four year institution courses satisfy content requirements only and do not apply to the minimum units required for the degree. Example: If 124 units are required for the degree once a student has reached 84 units, only 8 more units can transfer in (from a four year accredited institution). If 128 units are required for the degree once a student has reached 88 units, only 8 more units can transfer in.

Normally these 32 units must be taken on the Stockton campus, but study in Pacific-affiliated programs elsewhere in the United States or abroad may count toward the residency requirement if the student has taken at least 32 units on the Stockton campus at the time of graduation.

The school or college from which the student is to graduate may stipulate that the units in residence must include certain specific requirements in the major program and/or a certain minimum of units within the school or department of the major.

Academic Standing

At the end of each semester, an undergraduate or professional pharmacy student’s academic standing is designated as one of the following: good standing, warning, probation, or disqualification. The criteria for these academic standings are based upon a combination of the cumulative Pacific GPA and the term GPA and vary according to a student’s classification. Unless admitted on probation, a student is in good standing during the first semester of attendance. Students disqualified are eligible to petition their status of disqualified and the Academic Regulations Committee (ARC) reviews the student petition for either disqualified from further enrollment of Continued Probation **new status** for the next semester.  The criteria for the different academic standings are outlined below:

Good Standing:

  • term GPA of 2.00 or higher and a cumulative Pacific GPA of 2.00 or higher


  • term GPA below 2.00 and a cumulative Pacific GPA of 2.00 or higher.


If prior semester is ‘Good Standing’:

  • Freshman-Junior: term GPA is below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA below 2.00

If prior semester is ‘Warning or ‘Probation’:

  • Freshman: term GPA is below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA between 1.50 and 1.99
  • Sophomores: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA between 1.80 and 1.99
  • Juniors: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA between 1.95 and 1.99
  • All undergraduates: term GPA of 2.00 or higher and cumulative Pacific GPA below 2.00


If prior semester is ‘Good Standing’:

  • Seniors: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA below 2.00

If prior semester is 'Warning’ or ‘Probation’:

  • Freshmen: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA below 1.50
  • Sophomores: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA below 1.80
  • Juniors: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA below 1.95
  • Seniors: term GPA below 2.00 and cumulative Pacific GPA below 2.00


1.  Disqualification Status:

  • A student may be subject to disqualification until the University Academic Regulations Committee makes a determination regarding their academic status. This determination may involve either disqualification or continued probation, with specific restrictions, exceptions, or contingencies where applicable.

2.  Enrollment Restrictions:

  • If a student is disqualified, a student is not permitted to register for further study at the University during regular terms. However, they may attend "open enrollment" summer sessions.

3.  Readmission Process:

  • A disqualified student who has been absent from the University for one semester or more, excluding summer terms, may seek readmission through the Office of Admission. Upon readmission, such a student enters on "Continued Probation" status. They must collaborate with their advisor to complete an Academic Success Worksheet, aimed at addressing any previous deficiencies and achieving good academic standing.

This policy aims to provide a clear framework for students facing disqualification and outlines the steps they can take to appeal or seek readmission, as well as the associated enrollment implications.

Acquisition of Graduate Credit as an Undergraduate

Undergraduate students meeting all of the following requirements may apply by submitting the Application to Receive Graduate Credit as an Undergraduate Student to open a graduate transcript (i.e., receive credit in graduate-level courses toward a graduate degree) before the last day to add classes of the last semester as an undergraduate:

  • The student must be within 9 units of completing the baccalaureate degree.
  • The student must be in the last two semesters of the baccalaureate degree at University of the Pacific.
  • An Evaluation of Degree Requirements form has been submitted to the Office of the Registrar prior to the last day to add classes. This must be submitted before or with the Graduate Credit as Undergraduate application. (This serves as permission by the undergraduate advisor for the student to take graduate-level coursework.
  • The student has been accepted into a graduate or credential program.

Graduate credit can be received under the following guidelines:

  • The total number of graduate credits for the semester, including coursework completed at other schools, cannot exceed the maximum graduate course load for the department providing the graduate coursework.
  • The tuition rate for the entire semester is at the undergraduate rate.
  • No more than 12 units (16 units for student teachers) can be transferred from an undergraduate transcript into a graduate degree program.
  • Graduate credit will only be granted for graduate-level (200 numbered) courses and above.
  • Units cannot be retroactively transferred from an undergraduate transcript to a graduate program. Approvals for graduate credit must be obtained prior to the last day to add classes of the student's last semester.
  • Coursework will not count toward graduate credit if the student fails to complete the bachelor's degree by the second semester of taking graduate courses.
  • Graduate courses completed under this agreement will not be recorded by the Registrar as graduate coursework until the baccalaureate degree has been completed and matriculation into the graduate program has commenced. Grades from these courses will not be accounted in the undergraduate grade point average, unless the bachelor's degree is not completed. Students who do not complete the bachelor's degree by the second term when graduate courses are taken cannot start a graduate program and cannot take additional graduate coursework until the bachelor's degree has been awarded.
  • Students bear the responsibility of assuring graduate credits earned as an undergraduate student will transfer to or be counted as post-baccalaureate units by other universities or school districts.

Students are not classified as graduate students until they register for and begin graduate courses following the receipt of their bachelor’s degree.

Auditing a Class

Auditing of a course is an option that allows exposure to a course with no course credit awarded. To audit a course, approval must be granted by both the instructor and the chair of the department in which the course is offered via an add/drop form. Auditing is not available in participation courses such as applied music, physical education, art courses of an applied nature, etc. Students auditing a course must pay an auditing fee. Courses taken through auditing may not subsequently be converted to a course credit or grade. The student must indicate at the time of registration if they wish to audit a course, and pay the appropriate fee. An audited course and grade AU (Audit) may not be used to fulfill or waive any degree requirements.  An AW (Audit Withdrawal) grade will be assigned for withdrawals.


If you are a newly admitted and confirmed student and do not wish to attend Pacific for a semester and instruction has not yet begun, you must formally request a cancellation of your registration from the university. To cancel your registration (prior to the start of the term) contact the Office of Admission. If you are a continuing student and need to drop your last class after the add/drop deadline you must visit the Office of the Registrar and obtain a date of notification recorded on the Withdrawal form. The notification date is your official withdrawal date used by Financial Aid in the Return of Title IV Aid calculation and the effective date used by Student Accounts for tuition refunds.

Catalog Expiration and Requirements Policy

The catalog lists requirements for active degrees offered by the university. Each catalog goes into effect at the beginning of the fall term the academic year of issue. It expires at the end of summer session the seventh academic year after publication for students maintaining attendance. Advisors and other university employees are available to help, but students have final responsibility for satisfying degree requirements for graduation.

Students are held to program requirements (general education and major/minor) in effect at the time of first enrollment. Students who change their program/major are held to degree requirements in effect at the time of the change of program. Students may, using a Change of Program form, elect to graduate under degree requirements specified in subsequent catalogs; under no circumstances are the requirements from an earlier catalog applied.

Change of Address

All students must notify the Office of the Registrar immediately of any change in their addresses or those of their parents or guardians. The University assumes no responsibility for materials sent through the mail not received.

Change of Program Objectives

A student who has been admitted to one degree program and who later desires to change to another degree, major, concentration, or subsequent catalog must submit an approved Change of Program form with the Office of the Registrar.

Class Attendance

Students are expected to attend classes regularly. Specific attendance policies are determined and provided by individual instructors in their course syllabus at the beginning of the semester.

Class Standing

Undergraduate students are designated freshmen, sophomores, juniors or seniors by the number of units which have been completed toward graduation as follows:

1 – 27.99 units designates a freshman.

28 – 55.99 units designates a sophomore.

56 – 91.99 units designates a junior.

92 – up units designates a senior.

Post Baccalaureate

Other students are classified as Undergraduate Unclassified. See the Undergraduate Unclassified section of this catalog.


Commencement exercises to honor students who have earned baccalaureate and professional pharmacy degrees are held each year in May. Students who have earned their degrees in the previous Fall or Summer terms are welcome to participate.

Undergraduate students who have not completed all their degree requirements may participate in commencement if they have accumulated 92 units by the end of the Fall semester prior to May commencement. Students with deficiencies who plan to participate in the May commencement ceremony must apply for graduation by the April deadline.

Course Loads

Fall and Spring Semesters (Undergraduate and Professional Pharmacy students)

Full Time: 12 or more units a semester

Half Time: 6 -11.9 units a semester

Less than Half Time: 5.9 or less a semester

Twelve units constitute a minimum full-time program of studies during a semester for the regular undergraduate and first professional level student and is the minimum required for participation in intercollegiate activities. If a student registers for fewer than 12 units or drops below 12 units financial aid may be reduced. (Students who are less than half-time are not eligible for financial aid.)

The maximum study load during a semester for undergraduates without special permission is 18 units and 19 units for first professional level students. Students who wish to enroll for units in excess of the maximum study load must petition their school/college in advance.  Approval is based to a great extent upon the student’s past academic record and results in additional tuition charges. If a student is approved to take courses concurrently at another institution, the units at Pacific and the other institution may not exceed 18 units during Fall and Spring or 8 units during each Summer Sessions.

Minimum and maximum study loads for graduate students are defined in the Graduate Catalog.

Course Numbering System

Undergraduate Courses:

Lower Division courses. Courses, numbered 001 – 099, are primarily designed for freshmen and sophomores.

Upper Division courses. Courses, numbered 100 – 199, are typically open to students who have met the necessary prerequisites as indicated in the catalog course description. These courses are designed primarily for juniors and seniors but exceptions may be appropriate for qualified sophomores.

Graduate Courses:

Courses numbered 200 – 399 are primarily designated for graduate students. 300 and above are primarily for students admitted to a doctoral program.

Courses numbered in the 9000 series are used for specific professional development courses that are graduate level, non-degree courses in the Center for Professional and Continuing Education.

Credit by Examination

An undergraduate student in good standing and currently enrolled for four or more units may “challenge” by examination certain courses offered in the current term by the University. Departments have the right to designate which of their courses are appropriate for credit by examination. This policy is subject to the following restrictions:

  1. A student may challenge a course covering material in which, because of independent study since high school graduation, or because of work at another college or university which was not accepted for transfer credit, the student feels prepared. It is the responsibility of the student to explain how the material was mastered.
  2. A student who wishes to challenge a course should not expect the instructor of the course to provide assistance beyond an explanation of the scope of the examination.
  3. A student who wishes to challenge a course may not attend the class meetings of the course.
  4. A student may not receive credit by examination in the semester in which the student intends to receive his or her baccalaureate degree.
  5. A student may not get credit by examination for a course which the student has already audited or failed with a grade of F or NC.
  6. A student may not get credit by examination for a course in a structured sequence if the student has received credit for a higher level course in the sequence.
  7. Credit earned by a challenge examination may not be used to meet the University residency requirement.

A student pursues the credit by examination option must obtain a Credit by Examination form from the Office of the Registrar and pay the scheduled $50.00 service fee (non-refundable).

Successful completion of the examination is then recorded on the transcript with a grade of pass and is made a part of the student’s academic record in the term in which the examination is requested. Students who pass the exam are charged an additional $200.00 for the course credit. Such credit is not considered to generate an overload.

Credit Limitations

Undergraduate students can apply a combined total of eight units of ACTY 002-049 General Activity, ACTY 050-099 - Intercollegiate Sports and THEA 005 in the Theatre Arts Department toward graduation. Up to 8 units of activity and intercollegiate sports classes may count toward the COP breadth requirement.

A total of no more than 20 units may be applied toward a degree from any or all of the following: courses taken in accredited correspondence schools, extension correspondence schools, extension courses, and/or courses taken credit by examination. None of these credits, except extension courses taken at the University, is accepted during the term in which the student is completing requirements for graduation in this University.

A total of no more than 30 units of coursework in business administration may be applied toward a degree, except in the case of students majoring in business administration.

A total of no more than 28 units may be applied towards a degree from Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), DANTES and/or CLEP tests.

Credit Unit Policy


The designation of 45 hours of academic work is considered the standard to define a semester unit.  However, since the amount of student work per unit generally includes an estimate of student preparation and studying, courses that come within 10% of meeting that requirement (at least 40.5 hours of academic work) will be determined to meet the designated level of student work for one semester unit.  As stated in the University's Faculty Handbook in Section 11.10 Contact Hours in Relation to Hours of Credit, Lecture Courses will be scheduled to allow 15 hours of lecture (one lecture hour is equal to 50 minutes).  This standard applies to face-to-face courses and synchronous online courses.  Each unit of credit is further assumed to generate a minimum of 30 hours (2 hours per week during a traditional 15 week semester or equivalent) of additional outside-of-class work (e.g. study, exam preparation, etc.).

On-line and blended/hybrid courses are expected to meet the same standards as traditional courses for "instructional" time. In these courses, contact with instructors may take place via various modes of distance technology. 

Contact Hour Monitoring

Primary monitoring responsibility for courses rests with department chairs and/or academic unit administrators who have oversight responsibility for those courses.  The Center for Professional and Continuing Education may provide support and assistance for monitoring to academic units for online and blended/hybrid courses.

All new courses are evaluated by a process which includes departmental and college reviews, academic committee reviews including Academic Affairs and other appropriate committees (See Faculty Handbook, 11.4 Curriculum Changes). This review process includes justification of the requested units to be assigned to the courses based on the definition(s) for what constitutes a credit hour relative to the expected learning activities to be performed by students. Formal monitoring occurs as a part of the regular Program Review process which includes evaluation of the appropriate allocation of units assigned to all coursework (See Faculty Handbook, 10.2 Review of Academic Programs).

Cross Listed Courses

A cross-listed course is one that carries credit in more than one department or program.

Dean’s Honor Roll

Each undergraduate student currently enrolled in the University who achieves a 3.5 grade point average or above at the close of a term in which twelve or more units of letter-graded (A through F) work have been completed is designated as being on the Dean’s Honor Roll for that term. A notation is indicated on the student’s academic record of this achievement.

Degree Types

Second Bachelor’s Degree (consecutively or concurrent):

Second Bachelor’s degrees are awarded under the following conditions:

  1. The student does complete 32 units beyond those required for the degree that has the highest credit requirement. These units must be completed in residence at Pacific.
  2. The student does complete all specific requirements of both programs (both general educations and majors).
  3. Both degrees must be completed at the same time under the same catalog requirements when earned concurrently.

Multiple Majors:

Students may obtain a baccalaureate degree with multiple majors by completing the requirements for all majors under the same catalog requirements. Majors may consist of departmental majors, interdepartmental majors or majors in different schools. Multiple majors are recorded on the student’s permanent record, but only one degree is awarded. The degree is issued by the student’s primary declared school.


Diplomas are not awarded at Commencement but are available approximately three to four months afterward. Diplomas are mailed to the permanent address on file. Diplomas are not issued if you have outstanding financial obligations to the University. Diplomas left unclaimed are destroyed after five years. Students must re-order and pay for new or replacement diplomas.

The student’s diploma lists the degree, the school/college, and, if applicable, major and academic honors. The official academic transcript also lists the major(s), concentration(s) minor(s) and academic honors. Graduation dates posted on the diploma coincide with the last day of the semester. Degrees are posted Fall, Spring and Summer I, II and III. The official graduation date reflects the completion of all academic requirements for the degree and not necessarily the last term of enrollment.

Enrollment Verification

Students who need enrollment verification from the Office of the Registrar must be registered in the term to be verified. Students should print enrollment verifications by logging onto MyPacific, then selecting the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) Link and print Enrollment verification. Students can also obtain their good student standing certificate here.

Final Examinations

Students are required to take all scheduled exams. Matters of grading and testing procedures are the responsibility of individual instructors. If the instructor chooses to give a final examination, it must be scheduled during the time specified by the University Registrar for the final examination for that course. No student is allowed to take a final examination before the scheduled time.

Grade Point Average

The Pacific grade point average is determined by adding the total quality points and by dividing the resultant sum by the total number of quality hours. As a general rule, the ratio is based on the number of letter graded units completed; e.g., if a student repeats a course both courses will be considered in the overall grade point average.

Grading Policies

Symbols and Definitions:

Undergraduate and first professional level students are assigned grades in keeping with the following provisions. (Grading policies for graduate students are defined in the Graduate Catalog.)

Symbol GPA Definition
A 4.0 Outstanding work, highly meritorious
A- 3.7
B+ 3.3
B 3.0 Very good but not outstanding
B- 2.7
C+ 2.3
C 2.0 Satisfactory
C- 1.7
D+ 1.3
D 1.0 Barely passing but counts toward graduation
F 0.0 Failure. Grade count in the grade point average must be repeated with a satisfactory grade to receive credit toward graduation. Also, an F is a default grade given when an instructor does not report a grade.
AU/AW Audit/Audit Withdrawal
I Incomplete work is work not complete due to extenuating and hardship circumstances which prevent the completion of the work assigned within the regular time of the term. Each incomplete grade assigned must be accompanied with a contract statement agreed to by both instructor and student as to: a.) what work remains to be completed, b.) how it is to be evaluated, and c.) a time indicated for completion within but no later than the following deadlines: for fall semester, by July 1 following; for spring semester, by November 1 following; for summer term, by January 1 following. If work is not completed within these stipulated times, the instructor can indicate a grade in lieu of the F/NC which automatically would be imposed with failure to complete the work. All incompletes must be made up before the last day of the semester in which the student intends to graduate.
N Deferred grading
NC No credit recognition. Represents unsatisfactory work under pass/no credit option. It is not assignable in the Conservatory of Music.
NG No Grade Received from the Instructor. Please contact the instructor.
P Passing work on the pass/no credit system. P grade is approved only for certain courses and programs of a college or school. Beginning Fall 2016, the University requires a minimum of C- or better to pass a course with a 'Pass/No Credit Grading Option'.
W Authorized withdrawal from courses after the prescribed period.

Graduation Requirements for Bachelor’s Degrees

Candidates for undergraduate degrees must adhere to all of the University’s regulations. In particular they must have:

  1. Completed the major requirements specified by the school/college/department with a minimum grade point average of 2.0. At least 16 units of the major requirements must be completed at Pacific;
  2. Completed a minimum of 28 units in General Education including CORE Seminars 1 and 2, and sufficient coursework in each of the seven Areas of Inquiry.  Transfer students should refer to the General Education section for more detailed information about their GE requirements;
  3. Met Fundamental skills requirements;
  4. Achieved a grade point average of at least 2.0 on all letter-graded work completed at Pacific. On non-letter-graded work, the faculty will determine the equivalency;
  5. Fulfilled the minimum residence requirement of 32 out of the last 40 semester units prior to receiving the degree; and
  6. Accumulated the appropriate number of program units specified by the particular school or college.

Filing for Graduation

Application for Graduation: An  Application for Graduation must be filed with the Office of the Registrar as an indication of intent to graduate at a specific term by the April deadline. Undergraduate students who complete 92 units (senior standing) and professional pharmacy students who expect to fulfill degree requirements within the academic year will  receive notification from the registrar of pending program completion the term prior to degree completion. The student should confirm diploma name and diploma mailing address by last day of drop add of the degree completion term. The student should review their Degree Works for accurate program, degree and anticipated graduation term and contact their advisor for updates or corrections if required.

Degree Check: After a student Application for Graduation is complete both the program and Office of the Registrar check for the fulfillment of course and GPA requirements, i.e. university wide, major, department, college/school, general education.

Honors at Graduation

University wide honors at graduation for undergraduates and professional pharmacy are awarded on the following criteria. The student must have completed a minimum of 54 letter-graded units at Pacific and will be based on the student’s final overall institutional (Pacific) grade point average. The requirements are: Cum Laude (honors) 3.5, Magna Cum Laude (high honors) 3.7, and Summa Cum Laude (Highest Honors) 3.9.

Because Commencement occurs prior to spring semester grading, the commencement program indicates honors as of fall semester grades. The student must have completed a minimum of 36 letter graded units at Pacific at this time. Actual honors confirmed, as shown on diplomas and transcripts, is determined once all coursework has been completed and graded.


A major represents the area of study a student has chosen to pursue for a degree. Students who have not chosen a major are designated as ‘exploratory’. A student who decides to change a major or to declare one must submit an approved Change of Program form with the Office of the Registrar. Course and unit requirements for each of the majors offered are in the department’s section of the General Catalog.


A minor represents a prescribed group of courses in a subject area other than the major. A minor is not required for a degree, but may be elected to strengthen preparation in areas related to the major. To earn a minor a minimum of five courses and 20 units and a minor GPA of 2.00 is required. At least a minimum of 10 units must be taken at Pacific.  Course requirements for each of the minors offered are in the department’s section of the General Catalog. Students who wish to have a minor posted to their academic record must submit an approved Change of Program form with the Office of the Registrar.

Official Grades

Official grades are available to students via MyPacific approximately two weeks after the end of the term. Unofficial grades are available on MyPacific after the end of the faculty grade deadline. The grades posted at that time are merely an indication of grades submitted, and grades still missing. They do not show a GPA, or academic standing.

Pass/No Credit Grading System

Depending upon the regulation of a particular college or school, students may request to receive pass or no credit grades rather than the traditional letter grades. This is available to encourage enrollments in courses outside the student’s area of major or specialization and thus to help broaden the student’s general education.

Normally this freedom is limited to one course per student per term and does not include courses within a student’s major field. Students must submit an approved Add/Drop form to the Office of the Registrar prior to the add/drop deadline.  Beginning Fall 2016, the University requires a minimum grade of C- or better to pass a course with a 'Pass/No Credit Grading Option'.


Prerequisites for courses are listed in each course description; the responsibility for meeting these requirements rests on the student. The instructor, chair or dean’s office may request that a student who has not completed the prerequisites be dropped from the course.

Regression Rule

Students who complete coursework at an intermediate or advanced level without first completing the lower level introductory courses may not then go back and take the lower level courses for credit. This rule applies primarily to coursework in mathematics, the sciences, and foreign language. It may also apply in other departments in which there is a clear content sequence between courses.

Returning to Pacific

After Cancellation

New Students: If new students cancel their registration and wish to attend Pacific in a future term, they must submit a new application for admission. Previous admission status has no bearing on the decision for admission in the future.

Continuing Students: If continuing students cancel their registration, have been gone from the university for two or more consecutive semesters (excluding summer) and wish to attend Pacific in a future term, they must submit an Application for Return to Active Status (Re-admission), available through the Office of Admission.

After Withdrawal: If students completely withdrew from the University and wish to return in a future semester, they must submit an Application for Return to Active Status(Re-admission).


Registration is the means by which an individual officially becomes a student at Pacific. Registrants are further identified by school/college of the University, degree status, classification and major.

All students must complete registration activity by the add/drop or withdrawal dates published in the University Academic Calendar and Term Calendars.   Students are held accountable to complete every course for which they are registered.

Additional registration activity past these deadlines must be requested by the student and approved through a petition.  Petitions may include a service fee. Petitions are normally approved only if it can be shown that the request is warranted due to some special situation or hardship. Approved late withdrawals appear on the student’s transcript with the notation “W” but do not count in the units earned or in the GPA.

Registration - Individualized Study

Individualized study courses are designed for special educational needs which are not met by the available curriculum. Students must submit and approved Individualized Study Request form with the Office of the Registrar. Note: Students on academic probation may not register for Individualized Study. Unclassified students must obtain special permission from the school/college dean's office of which the course is housed.

Repetition of a Course

In order to repeat a course at the undergraduate or first professional (PharmD) level, students must have received a C- or lower the first time the class was taken. Once a course is completed (with a grade of C or higher) the student may not repeat any prerequisites for that course. The grading option, when repeating a course, must be the same as the one used originally. Any given course can be repeated one time only. Fundamental Skills courses are exempt from the one time repeat rule.

Students must have both a 2.00 cumulative Pacific GPA and a 2.00 major/minor/program Pacific GPA to graduate. Prior to Fall Semester 2015, the grades received for courses repeated were averaged. Beginning Fall Semester 2015, the best institutional grade attempted when repeating a course is used to calculate the cumulative Pacific GPA and the major/minor/program GPA. Both the initial and subsequent repeat grade will remain on the academic record.

Students may exercise their grade replacement rights up to a maximum of the first three repeated courses, while enrolled in undergraduate degree programs at Pacific.  Any additional course repeats will be 'grade averaged' for the cumulative Pacific GPA and the major/minor/program GPA.  Basic skills are exempt from the three times rule.

A student's Major/Minor/Program GPA is calculated in the following manner:

  • When multiple courses can be used to complete a particular requirement, the course with the best grade will be used in the calculation.
  • Transfer/Test articulated work will not be used in the calculation.

Additionally for Major and Minor GPA calculations:

  • Only courses currently completing the requirements up to the total number of units required for that particular major or minor are used.
  • Successfully completed major and minor courses in excess of what is required to complete it are not used in the calculation.


Upon request by the student to the Office of the Registrar, an official transcript of his or her academic record is issued to whomever he or she designates. A service fee per transcript is charged for processing the record. Students can request a transcript online, in person or by mail.

Official transcripts from other institutions become the property of the University and are not reissued or copied for distribution to other institutions. Copies of transcripts of work completed at other institutions must be obtained from the originating institution.

Transfer Credit Policy

University of the Pacific accepts units from all regionally accredited colleges and universities in the United States. Please read carefully the rules governing transfer credit acceptance at Pacific.

The evaluation and award of university transfer credit for coursework will be based on official college transcripts. To be eligible for evaluation the coursework must appear on an official transcript from the institution that offered the coursework and initially confirmed the credit in question.

The evaluation and award of testing exams will be based on official score reports. To be eligible for evaluation test scores must appear on an official transcript from the testing center that offered the test and initially confirmed the score in question.

Awarding criteria may change from year to year. New students will be granted credit based on the criteria in effect during the catalog year the student enters the university. Current students will be granted credit based on the criteria in effect the term they take the course.

Pacific's ROAR (Roam Online Articulation Reports) has been designed to show how credits from other institutions and approved testing programs will transfer to Pacific. ROAR is available to view on the Office of the Registrar's home page as well as the Office of Admissions' home page. Before current Pacific students register for a course at another institution they should first receive approval via a Transfer Course Approval Request form (TCAR) that can be found under Frequently Used Forms on the Office of the Registrar's website. New students do not need to submit TCAR's; please speak with an Admission Transfer Counselor.

University of The Pacific allows students to transfer coursework from other colleges and universities, counting toward a Pacific degree.

Unit Limits

Units are granted in chronological order of when courses were taken, oldest courses first.

2-Year Institutions

Once 70 units are accumulated from all schools including Pacific and approved testing programs, additional community college courses will satisfy course content requirements only and will not apply to the minimum units required for graduation.

4-Year Institutions

Once a student has reached 40 units fewer than what is required for his/her degree, only 8 more units will be accepted from a four-year institution. The only exception to this rule is for students studying for one or more terms in an approved education abroad program.

Additional community college or four-year institution courses will satisfy content requirements only and will not apply to the total units required for graduation. Satisfaction of content requirements means that the Pacific requirement will be met upon successful completion of the transfer course even though units will not transfer.

Note: Course content is the satisfaction of a Pacific requirement without the transfer of units. Courses transferred with course content only do not need to be repeated since they may fulfill a requirement.

Content of Courses

In interpreting transfer credit, University of the Pacific generally accepts comparable courses which are of the same quality as courses offered on this campus. Generally, courses completed at four-year accredited colleges and universities will transfer.

Quarter System Conversion

Courses completed in a quarter hour system will be converted to semester hours, therefore reducing the total hours accepted by one-third (hours, credits, units). The minimum units required fulfilling a Pacific course and/or GE credit transferred from a quarter school is 2.668. The minimum units required fulfilling a Pacific course and/or GE transferred from a semester school is 3.0.

Transferable Grades

Beginning Fall '06 a grade of "C" or above will transfer to Pacific. No units will be awarded and no degree requirements will be fulfilled for courses that do not meet this minimum. These courses will not satisfy any degree requirements.

Only units are transferable; grades are not transferred nor are they calculated into the Pacific cumulative or major GPA. For admissions purposes only, your transfer GPA will be calculated using all grades. Note: courses are accepted in chronological order, oldest courses first.

The Grade Point Average (GPA) that is calculated for graduation purposes consists of all grades earned at Pacific. Neither external credit nor transfer credit will be used in this calculation or appear on the Pacific transcript.

Audits also fall under this category. University transfer credit is not awarded for coursework that was only audited at the originating institution; these courses are not calculated into the admission or graduation GPA.

You may only receive credit once for a course taken. If a course is transferred and then repeated at Pacific only the units for the transfer course will be awarded. The Pacific course will bear no units or GPA value. If a course is taken at Pacific and then repeated at a transfer institution only the units and grade for the Pacific course will count. A GPA thus cannot be improved by taking courses outside of Pacific.

Acceptable Accreditations

Pacific accepts transfer credit only from regionally accredited colleges and universities. The following are the accrediting bodies recognized:

  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
  • Northwestern Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Southern Association of Schools and Colleges
  • New England Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Middle States Association of College and School Commission on Higher Education
  • North Central Association of Schools and Colleges (Dissolved as of Fall 2014)
  • Higher Learning Commission (HLC)

We reserve the right to request additional information about coursework including: Course descriptions, syllabi and catalogs.

Requirements for Transfer Students

CORE Seminar Requirements

Transfer students who have completed 28 or more units of transferable, classroom college work after receiving their high school diploma are exempt from CORE 001 and CORE 002.

Individual schools and colleges may impose general education graduation requirements, including skills requirements, beyond the University’s general education program.

Breadth Program Requirements

Transfer students with documented completion of a general education program from an accredited institution of higher education (e.g., the IGETC or CSU Breadth General Education Certification) prior to enrolling at Pacific satisfy Pacific's General Education Breadth program. Students who have not completed a general education program will have their courses articulated for general education credit on a course by course basis.

Transfer students matriculating with a seven-course pattern IGETC will need to complete a maximum of two additional courses (in lieu of CORE 001 and CORE 002) in any Area of Inquiry; and if not covered through an articulated course, one of those additional courses must satisfy the Diversity and Inclusion requirement.

Transfer students who have not completed either the seven-course IGETC or a complete general education program at an accredited institution are required to satisfy all Areas of Inquiry. Transfer students with multiple courses articulated into one Area of Inquiry may substitute one of those courses to satisfy another Area of Inquiry. A maximum of one substitution of this type is allowed and must be approved by the Director of General Education, upon referral from the student’s advisor.

Diversity and Inclusion Requirement

Transfer students are required to meet the Diversity and Inclusion Requirement and may do so using transfer coursework or coursework at Pacific.

Fundamental Skills Requirements

Fundamental skills requirements for transfer students include writing and quantitative analysis (math). Students may demonstrate competence in these skills in one of three ways:

  1. Completion of approved, college-level courses at an accredited college or university;
  2. Satisfactory performance on an approved, nationally administered examination; or
  3. Satisfactory performance on examinations administered through Pacific. Placement tests taken by transfer students at their previous institution do not replace Pacific’s assessments.

Transfer Credit Limitations

Pacific does not recognize non-collegiate level courses that are clearly intended to be a review of secondary material which schools often designate as remedial or developmental. (i.e. Reading, Intro to Writing, Elementary Algebra) However, you may receive credit for College Writing (WRIT 021) and Intermediate Algebra (MATH 005) courses if you were granted credit at the originating institution. 

Included in the category above are selected "orientation" and "skill building" courses (e.g. navigation, speed reading, food preparation, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, guidance, personal development, intro to college, etc.)

Pacific does not recognize or grant credit for courses in areas which differ significantly from those offered at Pacific or courses that are technical or vocational in nature (e.g. office skills, electronics, apprenticeship programs, fashion designing, forestry, dental assisting, medical assisting, etc.).

High School College Level Coursework

Students who have completed college level coursework while in high school will be awarded up to 70 units total. They should follow the same admission procedures for students entering directly from high school, plus submit an official community college transcript. These transfer courses will follow the same transfer guidelines outlined in this policy.

Evaluation of Military

Credit recommended in the lower division baccalaureate/associate degree category will be allowed in appropriate areas providing that the coursework was completed prior to reaching 70 transferable units from other institutions-it will be treated in the same manner as coursework from a community institution.

Credit recommended in the upper division baccalaureate category will be accepted for either course content or course credit depending on unit limit restrictions.

A maximum of two units in courses such as drill and marksmanship taken as part of an ROTC program at an accredited college are accepted as ACTY (activity) courses. Fifteen additional units of ROTC or military science courses will be accepted if taken from an accredited college.

Official documentation of completion of a military course will be required before giving credit for military course work. Documents that can be used are: ACE SMART or AARTS transcripts.

Course Placement

Some schools and programs of study at Pacific may require a placement test regardless of prior coursework. Failure to pass a placement test will result in remediation in that area of study. Pacific will not recognize placement tests from other colleges and universities.

Procedure for International Credit Evaluation

Students who attended schools outside of the United States and wish to attend University of the Pacific must go through a four step process:

  1. Transcript Evaluation      
  2. Translating Transcripts      
  3. Submitting Official Transcripts      
  4. Submitting Translated Course Descriptions

Transcript Evaluation

International students who attended schools outside of the United States must submit an evaluation of academic records, and this evaluation must be based on official transcripts. The University of the Pacific currently accepts evaluations from the following agencies (click on any of the agencies to visit their site):

Please request a course-by-course evaluation including a grade point average (GPA). Official copies of the evaluation should be sent directly to University of the Pacific's Office of Admission. Your transcripts must be translated into English before an evaluation can be processed.  The educational documentation you will need to submit to these agencies may vary based on the country of study, as well as the highest level of education you have completed outside of the United States. We recommend that you visit the website of your preferred agency to obtain information about what types of documentation are required for submission in order to obtain an evaluation report. Credit will not be allowed in transfer from any school, foreign or domestic, for coursework in English taught as a second language or intended to develop fluency.   

If you are applying to a graduate program, the final evaluation transcript must show an awarded degree equivalent to a bachelor's degree or higher.

Translating Official Transcripts

Transcripts that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. Many schools will be able to accommodate your request to have your transcripts issued in English. If your school is unable to issue official transcripts in English:

  1. You may take your transcripts and diploma/proof of degree to the appropriate verifying institution (i.e. Educational Ministry) to have them translated and notarized. The institution can then send those documents directly to the evaluation service in a sealed, preferably signed envelope. If the institution will only release the verification to you, please request that they put it in a sealed envelope so that you can forward that envelope directly to the evaluation provider; DO NOT open the envelope as that will void the verification. The documents must be received in their original sealed envelope to be considered official.
  2. You may submit your transcripts to a translation service. The translation service can then send those documents directly to the evaluation provider in a sealed, preferably signed envelope. If they send the translation to you, it must be forwarded to the evaluation service in its original sealed state. Again, DO NOT open the envelope as that will void the translation; the documents must be sealed to be considered official. You should also request that an official copy (in your native language) accompany the translation so they can compare the original to the translation.

Submitting Official Transcripts

Submit all official transcripts from all the schools you have previously attended (secondary, post-secondary, college, university, etc.) showing the work you have completed to date. If you are currently in any courses that you have not completed you may submit an official transcript containing these courses listed as In Progress. Once you have completed these courses, you must submit another transcript with these courses completed and graded. These documents are acceptable for admissions evaluating purposes. To be considered "official" your transcripts must remain sealed by the issuing university. If your university does not seal their transcripts as a standard procedure, please request that they place your transcripts in a sealed university envelope and stamp the outside flap with their school seal. Forward these documents directly to the application system; please do not open the envelope as this will void the transcripts.

Submitting Translated Course Descriptions

Students who attended universities outside of the United States must also submit course descriptions of their completed university work. The course descriptions must come from either the school's website or official catalog, and if not in English, they must include translations into English. Please send the course descriptions to University of the Pacific's Office of Admission.  

Testing Credit Limitations

Students may earn up to 28 semester units through university recognized testing and advanced credit programs. Several contexts exist for the granting of lower division Pacific credit for coursework completed prior to admission to this university, e.g. Advanced Placement, CLEP subject examinations, International Baccalaureate, and the DANTES programs. In each case the knowledge was gained prior to matriculation at Pacific and was tested through a standardized examination. Testing credits are not considered credits in residence and are subject to maximum transfer credit restrictions. In addition, since they are undergraduate transfer credits, they cannot contribute to the 54 graded credits needed for honors at graduation. These credits will only be granted when total transfer credit is below 70. All other studies in these categories are considered to be at the lower division level and therefore fall within the 70 credit community college limitation.

AP - Advance Placement examination results scored 4 and above are normally acceptable and credit and/or content is granted.

CLEP & DANTES - Credit may be granted as a result of passing scores in the College Level Examination Program subject examinations and DANTES.

IB - International Baccalaureate Higher Level examination results scored 5, 6, or 7 are normally acceptable; credit and/or content is granted.

Credit by Exam - Pacific will honor courses that are listed as Credit by Exam on official transcripts from another institution. The course will be treated as any other transfer course and follow the same evaluation process.

Undergraduate Unclassified Students

Undergraduate Unclassified students, who do not hold a Bachelor's degree, may complete up to 27.9 units prior to being required to formally apply for admission to the university. Upon admittance to the university, resident and transfer coursework will be evaluated.

University of the Pacific’s Four-Year Guarantee

The purpose of the Four-Year Graduation Guarantee (“Guarantee”) is to facilitate a student's goal to graduate in four years with a Bachelors degree. To be eligible for the Guarantee, a student must satisfy each of the following conditions:

  1. Declare and be admitted to a major by the beginning of the sophomore year by filing a Change of Program form. You may change majors if, at the time you make a change, you can still meet the requirements of the new major and graduate within four calendar years.
  2. Remain in good academic standing (2.00 GPA - major and institutional) at the University.
  3. Complete 32 semester hours of units each year for four years as required by the college and major, and meet all degree progress checkpoints.
  4. Meet with your faculty advisor prior to registration each term to review your course plan and monitor progress.
  5. Register for courses within two days of the assigned early registration appointment. Enroll in available courses needed for the program of study; accept any available section that can be accommodated in your course schedule. Sole exceptions: Students who are on Study Abroad or off campus participating in a full-time co-op may require a few additional days to register.
  6. Make timely annual application for all necessary financial assistance, to avoid registration problems.
  7. Apply for graduation by the stated deadline published in the academic and/or term calendars.
  8. Monitor your own progress toward degree using the electronic degree check audit system (DegreeWorks) and ROAR (Roam On Line Articulation Reports) regarding transfer work to help you stay on track.
  9. Notify faculty advisor if unable to register for a required course needed in the major or for graduation.

•Special exclusions: Five year programs and students following individualized learning programs.

If the student satisfies all of the foregoing conditions, but is unable to graduate due to unavailability of a course, the University will offer one of the following remedies:

  1. Enable the student to graduate in four years by substituting a different course or an independent study assignment, as determined by the department and the college offering the student's major.
  2. Allow the unavailability of the course to delay the student from graduating in four years, in which case the University will waive Pacific tuition and mandatory fees in order for the student to graduate within the next academic year.

The University may choose, in its sole discretion, which of the two foregoing remedies it will offer the student under this Guarantee, and the remedy chosen by the University will be the student’s sole remedy under this Guarantee. The University is under no obligation to provide one of the foregoing remedies unless the student submits a written request for an accommodation to the Provost prior to beginning of classes in the last term of the student's four year plan.

U.S. Military Mobilization

All students who are called to active duty must start the process by providing a copy of the military summons to the Office of the Registrar’s Veterans Affairs (VA) Coordinator, Knoles Hall, first floor, 209-946-2135. Cancellations processed during the first twelve weeks receive a 100% refund and all course sections are dropped before the student leaves for active duty. It is essential that a copy of the military summons be delivered to the Office of the Registrar before departure from campus. This ensures that classes are dropped and that grades of ‘F’ are not issued.

Students called to active duty toward the end of the semester, who are short submitting final papers or cannot take final examinations, are entitled to receive Incompletes (I) for the semester. Arrangements to receive Incompletes must be made with each instructor and copies of the military summons must be left with the Office of the Registrar. Students receiving Incompletes under these conditions are given four semesters to complete the work and remove the marks of ‘I’. If the work is not completed during this special four semester period, the marks of I are automatically converted to marks of W. If the military service period extends beyond the special four semester period, students can file an Academic Regulations Committee (ARC) petition for extension of this special incomplete time period.

Students who leave the University for U.S. military service and follow the procedures outlined above are eligible to re-enroll as returning students. Returning students must file a ‘Return to Active Status’ application with the Office of Admission. Returning students who have questions about Veterans Affairs benefits should contact the VA School Certifying Official in the Office of the Registrar at 209-946-2135.

Variable Unit Courses

Some course numbers are used to describe specific types of courses, as follows:

  • 087/187/287 – Internship study. Work experience conducted off campus, under the supervision of a non-full time Pacific faculty member.
  • 089/189/289 – Practicum. Work experience conducted on campus, under the direction of a faculty member.
  • 092/192/292 – Cooperative education. Work experience on a full-time or part-time basis. The Cooperative Education Program in each school or college differs in unit allowance. See the appropriate school for unit specifics in the general catalog.
  • 093/193/293/393 – Special Topics. Departments may offer, on occasion, special topic courses. Courses may reflect the current research of the instructor or the needs and interests of a group of students. Detailed descriptions can be obtained from the chair in which the courses are being offered.
  • 191/291/391 – Independent Study
  • 195/295/395 – Seminar. Undergraduate/Graduate/doctoral
  • 197/297/397 – Independent Research.


  • 299 – Master’s Thesis
  • 399 – Doctoral Dissertation

Note: These numbering standards are general standards and reflect current practice among most units. Some units may have exceptions to these. Students should check for these within their majors for individual unit standards that may differ from these general numbering standards.

Withdrawal From a Semester or the University

Students who intend to completely withdraw from a semester or from the university have to initiate the process in the Office of the Registrar. The withdrawal date used by Financial Aid for the Return of Title IV Aid calculation and the effective date used by Student Accounts for tuition refunds are based on the date of your notification to the Office of the Registrar. If a student intends to withdraw from a semester after the last day to withdraw, it must be approved by the Academic Regulations Committee. Courses the student was registered for after the last day to drop appear on that student’s transcript with the notation “W” but do not count in the units earned or in the calculation of the grade point average. If a student only withdraws from a semester, he/she has one more semester to keep his/her continuing active status. If the students has completely withdrawn from the University, he/she must file a Return to Active Status application with the Office of Admission.

An official withdrawal from the University is the termination of rights and privileges offered to currently enrolled students which includes, but not limited to, early registration.