Benerd College

Phone: 209-946-2683
Location: Gladys L. Benerd Building

Patricia J. Campbell, Ph.D., Dean

Degree Offered

Bachelor of Arts in General Studies / Master of Arts in Education with a concentration in Teaching
(blended program)

Bachelor of Science

Majors Offered

Healthcare Administration and Leadership
Organizational Leadership

A Diversified Major leads to a preliminary credential for elementary teaching in California. A Pedagogy Major is designed for undergraduate students from other countries who wish to teach in their home countries.

Minors Offered

Teaching Professions

For more information on graduate programs see Graduate Catalog.

This is a professional school of University of the Pacific that offers programs for Bachelor of Science, Master’s, Educational Specialist, Doctor of Education, and Doctor of Philosophy degrees.


The mission of Benerd College is to prepare thoughtful, reflective, creative, caring and collaborative professionals for service to diverse populations through personalized and transformational learning experiences.

Core Values of Benerd College

  • Personalized and Transformational Learning: We provide personalized, transformational experiences for students from all backgrounds and experiences who are passionate about making a difference in the lives of individuals and communities.

  • Strength-based Community Focus: We build upon the strengths of our region by working within our diverse communities to be a true partner in helping Northern California realize its full potential.

  • Innovation and Learning: In everything we do, we explicitly focus on fostering hubs of innovation and learning throughout Northern California, which will serve as living models for how educators can partner with their communities to influence real change.

The History of Benerd College

In July of 2019 Benerd College was established by joining together two existing colleges (Gladys L. Benerd School of Education and University College), each with a deep, rich history.  The Gladys L. Benerd School of Education was organized at University of the Pacific in 1923 and officially recognized by the California State Department of Education on January 10, 1924; offered bachelor's through doctoral degrees focused on developing exceptional educators and innovative leaders and compassionate and skilled counselors. Established in 1972 to provide academic and support services to adult students starting or returning to college, University College provided the avenue for students to pursue bachelor’s degrees in disciplines across the university, alongside traditional students in mostly daytime classes.  Benerd College (BC) offers the full spectrum of educational opportunities for traditional and non-traditional students, and through its continuing education and professional development, it extends that opportunity out into the community. 


The University of the Pacific was the first university in California whose professional education programs were fully approved by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC). Although teacher education is considered to be an all-University responsibility, all professional education degrees and credential programs at University of the Pacific are offered and coordinated through Benerd College. Continuing accreditation by the CCTC has been conferred through the year 2027 on all eligible programs in Benerd College. Benerd’s Counseling and School Psychology program is accredited by the National Association for School Psychologists (NASP).

Benerd College Offerings

Through its academic departments, the College offers Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, Educational Specialist, and Doctor of Education degrees, as well as California credential programs in Multiple Subject, Single Subject, Special Education, and Pupil Personnel Services in School Psychology. Benerd also serves as home to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI).

At the undergraduate level, the education programs prepare classroom teachers, while the degree completion programs are focused on leadership. At the graduate level, programs prepare instructional specialists, school psychologists, supervisors, and leaders in higher education, non-profit, and other organizations. Detailed requirements for a Master of Arts in Education (MA), Master of Arts in Leadership (MA), Educational Specialist (EdS), and Doctor of Education (EdD) can be found in the Graduate Catalog.

The College offers extension and enrichment courses for current Pacific students and members of the community, and courses for UOP International students introducing them to the culture and history of the region. In addition, Benerd College serves as a major regional center for continuing education units, professional development, customized workforce training and lifelong learning.  From single courses, to full certificate programs, with formats including in-seat, hybrid, and online/distance learning, our programs and services are designed to meet the non-traditional academic, professional, and personal development needs of San Joaquin County and surrounding areas.

Student Organizations

Student organizations in Benerd College include the School of Education Student Association (SESA); a student chapter of the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development; a student chapter of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC); the Math, Science, and Critical Thinking Club; the Music Education Student Association (MESA); and the Pacific School Psychology Association (PSPA).

Membership in these student organizations is open to all undergraduate students who are enrolled in Benerd College and all graduate students who are working toward a credential or an advanced degree offered through Benerd College and who have paid the ASUOP student body fees.

Facilities and Support Services

The Hive is a one-stop shop for student support services including advising and credential related services. Benerd College has a state-of-the-art flexible learning classroom, and the University Library contains other comprehensive resources for students in education in its collections of books, professional periodicals, pamphlets, microfilms, and other reference materials.

The Speech, Hearing and Language Center in the School of Pharmacy provides a program for children and adults who need individual or group therapy for such challenges as stuttering, cleft palate, aphasia, cerebral palsy, articulation, and delayed speech, and it provides speech reading for the hard of hearing. Comprehensive audiological assessment is also available for children and adults.

Earning a Credential to Teach

Benerd College provides programs whereby any student in any unit of the Stockton campus can prepare for a teaching career. Benerd is committed to a philosophy of combining professional theory with practical fieldwork and utilizes the unique diversity of Stockton area schools as laboratories for teacher preparation. Benerd College insists that students meet qualitative criteria. They must be strong academically, respect and relate well to children and other students, be of fine character, and be recommended by persons who know of their capabilities. Teacher candidates must demonstrate that they are fully committed to achieving excellence in teaching.

So that students can assess themselves, their relationships with children, and their willingness to commit to excellence in teacher preparation, any freshman or higher-level student may enroll in the sequence of prerequisite courses prior to the professional course sequence and directed teaching.

Services for Out-of-State Teachers

Teachers who have been prepared in other states may apply directly to the Commission on Teacher Credentialing, 1900 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814-4213. Such teachers may enter Pacific for the purposes of earning a credential or satisfying selected requirements. A credential file should be opened, with the credential analyst being given copies of credential documents. Admission to a Pacific’s graduate program is also necessary. Benerd College recommends the appropriate credential when California requirements are met if the necessary study is completed at this institution. A fee of $30 is required to open a credential file.

Services for Prospective Transfer Students

Students who contemplate transferring to qualify for a teaching credential may write to Benerd College or phone (209) 946-2558 or 946-2685 to confer about course selection. They may also contact the University’s Office of Admissions for transfer admission requirements, (209) 946-2211. Graduating University seniors contact the Graduate Studies  for information and application and confer with Benerd College. If the GPA for junior/senior years is above 3.0, they can inquire about the Master of Education degree which includes credential preparation.

Programs in English as a Second Language: Pedagogy Major for International Students

Benerd College offers an undergraduate program for international students who wish to become teachers of ESL (English as a Second Language) or EFL (English as a Foreign Language). At the undergraduate level, international students may choose the Pedagogy Major with a specialization in either Language and Culture or Second Language Pedagogy. (See description under Degrees in Benerd College for specific courses required for the Pedagogy Major.)

Programs to Earn Multiple Subject Credential

The courses and experiential learning opportunities for students seeking a multiple subject credential are included as a part of the Master of Arts with credential program discussed below under “Graduate Degrees.” As noted, students also have the option of earning a credential through post-baccalaureate programs of study (credential only or MA). These are discussed in the Graduate Catalog.

Programs to Earn Credentials to Teach Special Education

The courses and experiential learning opportunities for students who seek to become special education teachers (Educational Specialist credentials in mild to moderate support needs and/or extensive support needs Preliminary Credentials) are discussed below under “Graduate Degrees.” As noted, students also have the option of earning a credential through post-baccalaureate programs of study (credential only or MA). These are discussed in the Graduate Catalog.

Programs To Earn Single Subject Credential

Undergraduate students who seek to earn a single subject credential in one of the following areas: English, Art, Social Sciences, Sciences, Mathematics, World Languages, Music, and Physical Education consult with a faculty advisor in the appropriate academic department. Undergraduates can plan to earn a single subject credential concurrent with the bachelor's degree in selected content fields. The option of earning a credential through post-baccalaureate programs of study (credential only or MA) is available as well. Students should consult with a Benerd College advisor for appropriate education courses.

The School offers a Preliminary Single Subject Credential Program that consists of the following:

I. Prerequisite courses:

EDUC 130Technology Enhanced Learning Environments2
EDUC 140Transformational Teaching and Learning4
EDUC 141Transformational Teaching and Learning Practicum *2

EDUC 141 is not taken by Music Education students.

II. Professional Teacher Education Courses for the Single Subject Credential 

EDUC 155Teaching in the Content Areas I3
EDUC 167Adolescent Development3
EDUC 154Productive Learning Environments for Diverse Secondary Classrooms2
EDUC 156Content and Disciplinary Literacy Development in Secondary Schools3
EDUC 165Teaching in the Content Areas II2
EDUC 166Teaching English Learners, Single Subject3

The Single Subject Program in Music Education and Physical Education take methods courses in their content fields.

III. Directed Teaching: Typically 10-12 units 

EDUC 170Professional Practice2-10
EDUC 172Professional Practice Seminar2-10

Normally, EDUC 170 and EDUC 172 total 10 to 12 units.

Completion of the following course:

SPED 125XTeaching Exceptional Learners2

In addition to meeting degree requirements and completion the program outlines above, a student who seeks a Single Subject Preliminary Requirement must also:

  • Meet the Basic Skills Requirement or Commission of Teacher Credentialing approved alternative assessment prior to Student Teaching or Internship
  • Pass the California Subject Exam For Teachers (CSET) for the specific subject matter field (see advisor for information regarding the required exams and the timeline for completion of this exam.) Music has the option of an approved subject matter program
  • Complete the United States Constitution requirement
  • Pass all program requirements which includes maintaining a 2.5 GPA, advancing to Credential Candidacy, and meeting standards on all embedded signature assignments 
  • Demonstrate competence in relationship to the Teaching Performance Expectations and through the completion of all requirements in edTPA, an approved Teaching Performance Assessment
  • Demonstrate competence in professional practice (student teaching/ internship) as assessed by University Supervisor and their cooperating teacher(s) in their student teaching and/or internship placement(s)
  • Complete an application for the SB 2042 Single Subject Preliminary Credential at the Office of the Credential Analyst
  • Complete CPR Certification Infant, Child and Adult level

Under SB 2042 legislation, the holder of a Single Subject Preliminary Credential must complete requirements for a Clear Credential through a CTC-approved Induction Program provided by a school district or some California colleges or universities.

For more information see Benerd staff in the Hive, Room 111, Gladys L. Benerd Building. Students are required to meet with a program advisor for registration.

The credentials or licenses for teaching in California schools offered by the University include the Multiple Subject Credential, the Single Subject Credential, and the Educational Specialist Credentials, Mild/Moderate Disabilities or Moderate/Severe Disabilities, Preliminary- Level One.

The Single Subject Credential authorizes its holder to teach that subject at any level between kindergarten and grade 12, though it is used typically in grades 7-12. The Multiple Subject Credential authorizes its holder to teach in any classroom in which the students remain with the teacher. The Multiple Subject Credential is required for teaching grades K through 6. Some districts require a Single Subject Credential for teaching one subject field in middle school or junior high school. The Multiple Subject Credential may be used for teaching upper grades in which students remain with the teacher in a self-contained classroom and for adult education.

Students who have earned a baccalaureate degree and who meet admissions criteria have the option to pursue their teaching credentials through a post-baccalaureate credential, MA, or internship programs. Details regarding these options are available at Benerd. Details regarding the MA program are also available in the Graduate Catalog.

Students who seek to earn a credential must complete an approved program of study and take and pass required state examinations. Specific information about the requirements for each program is available at Benerd College.

Minor in Teaching Professions

The Teaching Professions Minor offers undergraduates interested in pursuing a career in education a cohesive set of courses that provides them with the foundation for teaching in a variety of settings and/or pursuing related careers while continuing to build strong subject matter knowledge in their majors. The minor lays the groundwork for graduation with either a bachelor's degree with a single subject (secondary) preliminary teaching credential or preparation for a post baccalaureate credential. Students consider how humans learn as well as the social, psychological, economic, historical, political, and cultural factors that influence teaching and learning in public schools.

Students must complete a minimum of 22 units with a Pacific minor grade point average of 2.0 in order to earn the minor in teaching professions.

Minor Requirements

To add a teaching minor, students must have a Certificate of Clearance issued by the California Commission of Teacher Credentialing. Most Teaching Professions courses require students to engage in fieldwork experiences. Fieldwork is typically a part of each EDUC/SPED course. Students must get their fingerprints completed through Pacific before the start of fieldwork.

Students should plan on completing their student teaching during their last year and/or semester of their credential program (see advisor to plan minor degree progress). To be eligible for student teaching, students must have a Certificate of Clearance (COC) issued by the California Commission of Teacher Credentialing, CSET, and CBEST passed or waived, Negative TB, fingerprints completed through Pacific, and a credential file completed through Pacific.  To get more information, contact the Benerd HIVE Credential Office

EDUC 130Technology Enhanced Learning Environments2
EDUC 140Transformational Teaching and Learning4
EDUC 141Transformational Teaching and Learning Practicum2
EDUC 155Teaching in the Content Areas I3
EDUC 156Content and Disciplinary Literacy Development in Secondary Schools3
EDUC 160Productive Learning Environments for Diverse Secondary Classrooms2
EDUC 163Teaching English Learners3
or EDUC 166 Teaching English Learners, Single Subject
EDUC 167Adolescent Development3