Location: Cowel Wellness Center
Student Health Services (SHS) and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are both located in the Cowell Wellness Center building. They are each departments within the Division of Student Life. The Cowell Wellness Center building is located across the foot bridge, north of the main campus, at the corner of Brookside Road and Manchester. SHS puts patients at the center of their health care. SHS provides comprehensive health care that include health and wellness education, medical, nutrition, laboratory, pharmacy, insurance, and immunization services. Our integrative health care staff includes physicians, nationally certified nurse practitioners, phlebotomists, nationally certified medical assistants, an insurance coordinator, immunization coordinator, and a registered dietitian. SHS provides programs, services, and resources that are designed to enable students to obtain their optimal health and achieve their academic goals.
CAPS staff is comprised of stated licensed psychologists and marriage and family therapists, doctoral psychology interns and part-time consulting psychiatrists. Therapists specialize in working with the student population and are trained to assist students in reducing stress, building self-confidence, relating to others, solving problems/finding options, and managing ongoing psychological conditions. Therapy sessions are available to students who have paid the Cowell Wellness Fee, as well as non-student partners attending couples counseling for a per-session fee. CAPS provides individual, group and couples therapy.
Therapists specialize in working with the student population and are trained to assist students in building self-confidence, being assertive, relating to others, reducing stress, solving problems, finding options, and managing on-going psychological conditions. Personal counseling, both one-to-one and group, is available.
Due to the Privacy Act, staff does not routinely discuss student’s care with anyone, including parents, unless the student has provided a written consent to release information. With consent, however, professional staff is available to address questions and concerns about students’ health issues and treatment plans.
The staff members of both SHS and CAPS are active within the Student Life Division at Pacific and actively contribute to the goal of helping our students achieve academic and career achievement by attending to the health and wellness required to be successful in the global world.
Eligibility and Costs
- Undergraduate and Graduate Students enrolled in 9 units or more will be charged the Cowell Wellness fee of $165/per term and students enrolled in under 9 units will be charged a part-time Cowell Wellness fee of $90/per term.
- Dugoni Dental Students enrolled in 16 units or more will be charged the Cowell Wellness fee of $82.50/per quarter term and students enrolled in under 16 units will be charged a part-time Cowell Wellness fee of $45/per quarter term.
- McGeorge Law Students enrolled in 6 units or more will be charged the Cowell Wellness fee of $165/per term and students enrolled in under 6 units will be charged the part-time Cowell Wellness fee of $90/per term.
SHS are available to all students who have registered for classes at all three University campuses.
Cowell Wellness Center Fee includes:
- Medical visits
- Counseling and Psychological Services
- Dietitian services
- Health and wellness programs, services, and resources
Cowell Wellness Center fee does not cover the cost of some procedures, medications, and outside referrals. Students are required to have health insurance. The University offers a comprehensive student health insurance plan.
The Undergraduate, Graduate, Professional and Law Student health insurance coverage period:
Fall: 08/01/2023 - 1/31/2024
Spring/Summer: 2/1/2024 --7/31/2024
Spring/Summer: 01/01/2024 - 06/30/2024
Students can access information about the student health insurance plan @ http://www.pacific.edu/insuranceoffice or call 833.233.0764
CAPS are available to students who have:
- Registered for classes at the Stockton campus or Pacific McGeorge School of Law on the Sacramento campus.
- Paid the Cowell Wellness Center Fee
- Non-student partners of a Pacific student for couples counseling for a per-session fee.
Please note that CAPS does not bill your health insurance for services. All on-campus therapy is included in the Cowell Wellness Center Fee.
Please note: Students are automatically charged for the University contracted insurance policy with Anthem Blue Cross unless they have completed an annual health insurance waiver. The link to the waiver is available through the Health Services website at http://www.pacific.edu/insurancewaiver